Libraries are now the hub of digital media distribution, Egov services, and often where to go to learn new mobile devices. All librarians please identify yourselves and let's explore how to best share outstanding resources!

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The libraries in the Anchorage School District implemented a new catalog last year, and it's very interactive.  Kids are able to tag books and write/publish book reviews in the catalog.  They also now have the ability to log into their library accounts, save title lists, renew their own books, and more.  The most exciting part of this new software is that the kids get to enhance the catalog simply by interacting with it.  Students actually WANT to use this tool, which never happened with our old software.  I am convinced it is because of its interactive, social media aspect!  Last year students entered over 2400 reviews into the system.

Here is a link to the catalog, if you want to check it out for yourself.  Search a popular book (Hunger Games, for example) if you want to see a book record with some student activity.

ASD Catalog

What a great tool for the students!  I can see that this type of interaction would encourage students to get more deeply involved with reading and help others become interested as well.  I love the fact that they can create a list of books that they are wanting to read.  So many times, I have had students that could not decide which book out of a stack to check out.  When they finally decide on one, they can't remember the next time around which other ones were of interest!  Also, the fact that students are able to write book reviews gives them a sense of power and that their opinion is worth something and in turn, it strengthens their writing abilities.  Great job ASD!
Roz Goodman. Retired School Librarian/Teacher, currently doing contract work for school districts and village public libraries.  Perhaps we could have a shared page on the social wiki where folks could add resources including a brief description.
Is the library program/company You See More? I've not heard of this before. I know Follet's Destiny has similar features. Sounds like a great program. 

Staci Cox said:

The libraries in the Anchorage School District implemented a new catalog last year, and it's very interactive.  Kids are able to tag books and write/publish book reviews in the catalog.  They also now have the ability to log into their library accounts, save title lists, renew their own books, and more.  The most exciting part of this new software is that the kids get to enhance the catalog simply by interacting with it.  Students actually WANT to use this tool, which never happened with our old software.  I am convinced it is because of its interactive, social media aspect!  Last year students entered over 2400 reviews into the system.

Here is a link to the catalog, if you want to check it out for yourself.  Search a popular book (Hunger Games, for example) if you want to see a book record with some student activity.

ASD Catalog

The company is called The Library Corporation (TLC).  I know the district looked at Follett's software too - I was really surprised when this other company got the bid.  Here is a link:

TLC

This ALA book is available from the Alaska State Library office in Anchorage. Contact Jacque Petersen 1-800-776-6566.

Solomon, Laura. Doing Social Media So It Matters: A Librarian's Guide. American Library Association, 2011. 
In seven concise chapters the author suggests that libraries need a social media presence to connect, engage and converse with their library community. To be successful in this effort the library needs a social media plan. What are the goals for using social media? What are the expected outcomes? Who will be responsible for implementing the social media plan? Which social media tools best serve the library's social media goals? The author clearly explains the important role of social media in communicating with library users, the value of acquiring and utilizing social capital by broadcasting and listening, how to measure engagement quantitatively and qualitatively, the importance of buy-in from the entire library staff,  and how to evaluate and improve the success of the library's social media plan. 

Comments: The author presents a compelling argument for the use of social media tools to interact with it's library community. What I learned about the use of social media in the library is:

1. There needs to be a plan with goals for the use of social media and all use of social media should support the goals.

2. The importance of receiving, valuing and responding to community member input. The communication must be two-way. 

3. Broadcasts need to be concise, creative, relevant, and attention grabbing. The content must capture the reader.

4. Utilizing social media to communicate iis time consuming but can reap rewards such as support for library funding.

5. Social media efforts should continually be evaluated and adjusted to support the library's goals and meet the needs of the library community.

This resource has link to social media programs that tie into Standards for the 21st Century Learner.

Best Websites for Teaching and Learning: Top 25 Websites for Teaching and Learning.  American Association of School Librarians, 2011.

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/guidelinesandstandards/bestl... 

The "Top 25" Websites foster the qualities of innovation, creativity, active participation, and collaboration. They are free, Web-based sites that are user friendly and encourage a community of learners to explore and discover. 

Media Sharing 
Digital Storytelling
Manage and Organize
Social Networking and Communication
Content Collaboration
Curriculum Sharing
Content Resources: Lesson Plans and More

I am not a librarian, but volunteer at the Gustavus library and am able to teach my classes there. The technology at our little library is excellent and the board shows every sign of continuing to support improvements in this arena.

For those fellow librarians out there - just wanted to make sure you knew that there is a Common Craft video out there about plagiarism.  http://www.commoncraft.com/video/plagiarism

I have found the Common Craft videos to be so well done and educational.  In fact, it looks like many schools are creating their own educational videos using the "Common Craft style."  Here is a blog post about it: http://www.commoncraft.com/blog/common-craft-style

The student example is truly hilarious!

AK libraries OWL Grant Executive Summary http://www.ntia.doc.gov/broadbandgrants/applications/summaries/5344...
Is your library one of the 103 Alaskan libraries benefiting?

Cooper Landing Library, where I live,  is going to be online this Saturday with Mark Begich doing a virtual visit and ribbon cutting. From what the volunteer librarians say, "It is one of the first to launch through this grant in the state of Alaska, with the new improved broadband, computers, video conferencing this Saturday Janaury 21, 2012"

Tommy,

The Gates foundation and the FCC C2C project referenced in the lessons view libraries as where most rural citizens will get their first exposure to digital literacy training. Congrats on Cooper Landing being the tip of spear for Alaskan digital empowerment training!  Please keep up posted on what happens next!

Here are some Social Media/Student Research Links

A GREAT INFOGRAPHIC ON GOOGLE SEARCH TIPS

http://educationaltech-med.blogspot.com/2011/11/great-infographic-on-google-search-tips.html

USING SOCIAL MEDIA FOR STUDENT RESEARCH

Using Social Media for Student Research 

Part 1 discusses how to get students set up to do research using social media.

http://www.edsocialmedia.com/2012/01/using-social-media-for-student-research-part-1-setting-up/ 

Part 2 explains how to actually go about doing the research.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Odasz.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service