Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A resource from the Alaska Counseling Conference that I share with parents to elicit a conversation about what is safe for our children on the Internet.

This is interesting timing as our elementary school (preK-5th) just recently had an issue with some 2nd graders using the internet inappropriately. I guess I assumed working at an elementary school we wouldn't have to deal with internet safety and computer use the same way that middle/high schools do. Students going through school now are more familiar and comfortable with computer use than many adults! Scary to think about what they can access at their little fingertips. 

Hi Allison - thanks for the feedback on the Article.

Yes, children definitely have to be tutored on the acceptable ways that allow them safe travels on the internet highway.  This last generation has totally grown up with the internet as the radio was for my generation.  So, along with this technology there has to be the safety training or parental guidelines to ward off those predators that cruise this new techno highway.

This quiz seems like an excellent prompt for getting the discussion going with kids. I noticed it is dated as 2011 for it's most recent revision. It's incredible to think, but as far as technology goes, this would be considered outdated. Don't get me wrong, it seems to be a good resource to start with but can you imagine how much the abundance of web-enabled devices has increased in the past 6 years along with the increase in social media users. Here is an interesting piece of info from statista.com, "As of the third quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.79 billion monthly active users. In the third quarter of 2012, the number of active Facebook users had surpassed 1 billion." Wow. The times are a-changin' and I guess with that, so does the conversation. Until a few months ago, Facebook didn't even have Facebook LIVE, now people are live streaming EVERYTHING. Thank you for sharing Heidi. It is a great reminder that the discussion with your children and students has to happen and be addressed often to keep up with the changes. 

Hi Lacey - Yes- the exponential change and growth of the technological base for our society boggles the mind.  You are right, the premise of the questionaire great but the particular questions will need to be reviewed 'monthly' in order for it to address current issues.  Wow, the numbers on Facebook are astounding!!!!  Thanks for the comments - good thoughts.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Odasz.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service